Note: Hi, pals! Just a a fast reminder – a number of the hyperlinks on this web site are affiliate hyperlinks, and so I could earn a bit money on qualifying orders. It doesn’t price you something additional, and is a pleasant method to assist assist this web site! I additionally need to level out that I don’t promote merchandise I haven’t really tried or merchandise that I don’t belief. 🙂
If there’s one factor I can assure once I publish a recipe, it’s that folks will ask about substitutions. I completely perceive, as somebody with a good quantity of restrictions, however regardless of what number of completely different substitutions I attempt to embrace within the notes, somebody at all times needs one thing else. Years in the past, I posted a recipe for vegan keto bagels that grew to become immensely fashionable and the most typical query I get from individuals is “can I substitute anything for the flax?” So, I’ve lastly gotten round to this, and am excited to current my flax-free vegan keto bagels.
Typically, individuals will ask if they will sub chia seeds for the flax, as this normally a secure alternative. I attempted this, many occasions, and it actually didn’t work out. Similarly, coconut flour was a bust. Plus, I understand how polarizing coconut will be, and I really feel like each time I publish a recipe for one thing with coconut flour, I’ve to brace myself for the slew of feedback about how a lot individuals hate coconut. 😀
Anyway, the flour alternative that appeared to work finest simply so occurred to be one which I’ve actually gotten into recently: lupin flour! Lupins (or lupini) are a kind of bean, commonest within the Mediterranean, and one which has actually taken off, due to ketoers. It’s tremendous low in carbs and excessive in protein. Usually, I purchase lupini beans brined in jars from both the Kosher or Mediterranean meals part of my native grocery retailer, however I’ve additionally seen them within the Latin American meals part. The flour is a distinct story, although, and I’ve solely been capable of finding it on-line.
A fast be aware – these don’t style precisely like bagels. For starters, they aren’t boiled earlier than being baked. However, they’re nonetheless fairly darn scrumptious and make a beautiful base for vegan cream cheese or a buttery unfold. I additionally like to make use of them to make tiny bagel pizzas with them.
Tips on Making Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
- If you should not have a meals scale, I like to recommend measuring the flour and psyllium like this – scoop the psyllium/flour a bit bit too full after which gently shake the measuring cup over the bag till the measuring cup flattens out. Scooping the flour and urgent it to the facet of the bag to flatten it would compress the flour, and you should have an excessive amount of. Too a lot lupin flour simply makes issues a bit dry, so not an enormous deal, however value noting.
- You can not substitute the psyllium for something, sadly. You can use both psyllium husk, or psyllium powder (in equal quantities by weight), simply make sure to whisk all of the dry elements collectively, as psyllium powder tends to clump up simply.
- I wish to high these with every part bagel mix. It’s not a crucial step, however an ideal one.
- These are best to de-pan with a silicone bagel mould, however for those who don’t have a silicone one, you possibly can simply grease the pan with coconut oil (or no matter you’ve got on-hand) earlier than filling it.
- While I try to supply correct dietary info, completely different manufacturers and styles of elements could have differing macros, so your calculations might fluctuate!
Flax-Free Vegan Keto Bagels (gluten-free-, soy-free, nut-free, coconut-free)
These easy-to-make vegan keto bagels are allergen-friendly and are flax-free, coconut-free, soy-free, nut-free and gluten-free! They’re excellent for toasting up with some buttery unfold or making into little bagel pizzas.
- half cup, plus 2 tbsp (75g) lupin flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- pinch of salt (add as much as 1 tsp if utilizing unsalted tahini)
- 1/four cup (20g) entire psyllium husks
- 1 cup (240ml) water
- half cup (120g) tahini
- optionally available every part bagel mix or sesame seeds for garnish
- Preheat oven to 375F (190C). If utilizing a metallic bagel tin, flippantly grease every properly with oil and if utilizing a silicone bagel pan, no prep is critical.
- To a mixing bowl, whisk collectively lupin flour, psyllium husk, baking powder, and salt.
- In a separate bowl, combine collectively water and tahini till completely mixed.
- Stir the dry elements into the moist, after which stir to type the dough/batter. It’s going to appear like soup at first, however that is regular! It will thicken up in about 5 minutes, because the lupin flour and type a thick batter. It will not pour, however you possibly can scoop it.
- Scoop into the wells of your bagel pan, and easy out a bit. These will rise within the oven and alter form barely, so this does not should be excellent.
- Now’s the time so as to add that bagel mix!
- Bake for round 30-35 minutes, till golden brown. Let cool utterly after which take away from the pan. I discover that protecting the bagels within the pan with a big lid so that they steam whereas they cool helps them to remain softer on the surface.
- To take pleasure in, lower in half and toast such as you would a standard bagel. Then high as desired!
I discovered these turned out one of the best with a silicone bagel pan, however for those who solely have an everyday one, you possibly can simply grease it with a bit oil earlier than placing the batter in!